Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Poetry Out Loud



During the month of April, in celebration of National Poetry Month, I highlighted poetry as an oral art form – the spoken word delivered to an audience. I noted that “the speaking and the hearing of poetry have always been central to its beauty and its effect upon people.”

Throughout the month, I shared video presentations of poets reading or reciting their works as well as other people reading the works of poets. I was able to share oral presentations of nine poets from diverse backgrounds. There were well over 1,000 views of those blog posts. The work of local spoken word artist Michael Harriot, “My Mama's So Black” received the most views, followed closely by Helen Mirren's reading of Tennyson's “Ulysses.”

All of the presentations seemed to be well received. Particularly effective was Bill Murray's reading of “What the Mirror Said,” by Lucille Clifton, and, of course, Maya Angelou's own presentation of “And Still I Rise.” I was glad to hear some Native American perspective with Joy Harjo's presentation.

Some told me that my reading of “Conscientious Objector,” by Edna St. Vincent Millay, was their first time to even hear about that poem. Others remarked that “Digging,” by Seamus Heaney was their all time favorite poem. One of my favorites was to be able to sit and listen to an evening with Coleman Barks reading from his translations of Rumi.

I am happy to have done some small part in presenting poetry in its oral form, and glad to have introduced some new voices as well as some old favorites to the readers of my blog. Thank you all for taking time to appreciate poetry as a spoken art form this month.

In case you missed any of them, you will find them listed below, with a hyperlink to take you to each presentation.










-

No comments:

Post a Comment