Friday, August 21, 2015

The Masterworks Series – Poetic Reflections

Earlier this year, I stumbled upon a small treasure for creative inspiration. I was at the local library's annual book sale. It was an old Book-of-the-Month Club selection, Portfolio of Art Masterpieces, Series IV.  Twelve reproductions of masterpiece paintings, each mounted on heavy paper with a brief description of the artist and the artwork. Those twelve masterpieces served as inspiration for a 12-week project. Each week I set some time aside to view and dwell with a work of art.  I then wrote a poem based upon that experience of "dwelling with" the painting.

Here are the links to each poem. The list below provides the title of each masterpiece work of art followed by the title of the poem I wrote in response to the painting.  

The Masterworks Series














These are essentially first drafts. I usually do not share a poem until it has had significant time to sit and "cure" – and with perhaps a little feedback from friends – so I can be sure it is finished. In that respect, these poems are a departure, though I have had some feedback from friends on a few of them prior to posting. I have had fun with the project and I think it has offered a helpful discipline, giving me a deadline each week to write a new poem.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment