Friday, April 4, 2014

Recommended Recipes: Texas Caviar

Here's a recipe that was a big hit recently. I got it from a colleague who brought some to work on New Years Day (some of us had to work that day) so that we could have our black-eyed peas for New Year's. I ike it and asked her for the recipe. She wrote out the ingredients on a card with very little instruction (it is a simple recipe, after all).  I was going to a gathering and wanted to take a snack for the group. It was on a Friday right in the middle of Lent, and I was wondering what I could prepare that would be simple and vegetarian. That's when I remembered the recipe that I had tucked away in January. I made it for the first time for that gathering. I received many compliments, and the plate was completely empty by the end of the night. I'm including the recipe as delivered  with how I executed it in parentheses.


Texas Caviar 

Ingredients:
  • Black-eyed peas  (I used two 15.8 oz. cans of “Bush’s Best” Blackeye Peas)
  • Jalepenos - diced (I used two fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed)
  • Yellow Pepper - diced (I used one medium sized)
  • Red onion - diced (I used about 3/4 of a medium sized red onion)
  • Shoe peg corn (the corn I found was Green Giant "Steam Crisp" - I used one 11 oz. can)
  • Cilantro - chopped (I only used a little bit out of personal preference)

 Marinate in Zesty Italian dressing overnight in refrigerator (I used an entire 8 oz bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian)

Serve as a dip with chips


In preparing this, I placed all of the diced ingreditents – jalepenos, yellow pepper, and red onion – into a food processor for to make quick work of it.



-

No comments:

Post a Comment