Friday, January 1, 2010

Avatar

I spent New Years Eve at the movie theater with my daughter who is on college break. We went to see “Avatar” which we both thoroughly enjoyed. I went not expecting much more than impressive state-of-the-art special effects. What I saw was a most important message for our time. Yes, there were some very impressive special effects (in 3D), there was a lot of action and some shooting and bombing. But the message, not to spoil any of the story for those who haven’t seen it, was the importance of respect for indigenous people and care for the environment (as opposed to displacing people and mowing down nature just to extract needed resources. I was very much reminded of “The Mission” as I watched “Avatar.”

Years ago, I was a fan of the TV show M*A*S*H. In recent years, I have looked wistfully at that show thinking that such a liberal ant-war humanitarian message would not be made in Hollywood today - the public wouldn't buy it. With the success of “Avatar” I have a new hope that the message of caring and compassion is being welcomed by the public.

If you haven’t seen it, go see it. If you agree or disagree with this post, add a comment.




***

No comments:

Post a Comment