Sunday, November 18, 2018

Lines Composed on a Birthday


I had forgotten that I wrote this a couple of years ago when someone suggested I write a few lines on my birthday. At the time I called it "a first draft stream-of-consciousness let-the-words-fall-into-place attempt" composed on Facebook. It showed up on my Facebook Memories today, so I share it again here:


Birthday Lines

Years are passing
Sights are fleeting
Thoughts are bleating
In the meadow.

Days are ending
Someone calling
Night is falling
In the glen.

Forward looking
Sometimes seeming
Like the dreaming
Of a lark.

Looking back
Across the lake
The foaming wake
Disperses soon.

In the moment
Breathing deeply
Nothing cheaply
Enters in.

Moving forward
Careful choosing
No sense losing
In the flood.

In the circle
All is counted
Faith comes mounted
On a steed.

Quiet times
Though days are numbered
Unencumbered
Spring rolls in.

Finding grace
When time is swirling
Love’s unfurling
Fills the day.

                              ~ CK


_____________________

Photo: Shades Creek, Birmingham, Ala.
Credit: Charles Kinnaird



-

No comments:

Post a Comment