Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Music: Wynton Marsalis visits Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

I remember many happy times spent when my daughter was young and we watched Mister Rogers' Neighborhood together. As a new father,  I learned a lot from watching how Fred Rogers talked to children, and I loved the way he showed children many enriching and encouraging things. Just one example is the day Wynton Marsalis visited the program. He is accompanied by Johnny Costa, jazz pianist, who provided background music for Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Also featured are Joe Negri on guitar, Bobby Rawsthone on drums, and Carl McVicki, Jr. on the bass. The music was written by Fred Rogers. Scroll down below the video if you want to see the lyrics.




It’s You I Like   
By Fred Rogers

It's you I like,
It's not the things you wear,
It's not the way you do your hair--
But it's you I like
The way you are right now,
The way down deep inside you--
Not the things that hide you,
Not your toys--
They're just beside you.

But it's you I like--
Every part of you,
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings
Whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember
Even when you're feeling blue
That it's you I like,
It's you yourself,
It's you, it's you I like.






No comments:

Post a Comment