Friday, March 22, 2013

Thailand by Rail

On March 8, I posted an old poem that I came across recently called "Sacredness." I have always liked that poem and I remember when I wrote it down in my notebook. It was while riding the train from Bangkok to Singapore. Thinking of that poem and the trip during which it was written prompted me to go back through my photo albums. Hence this photographic essay, "Thailand by Rail" and the one that will follow, "Malaysia by Rail." These are photos I shot from the train while en route to Singapore in the summer of 1982.


First I'll begin with a few shots taken in Bangkok in the days prior to boarding the train.


One of the major temple complexes in Bangkok

A young monk climbs the stairs going up to the temple







         Shanties along the river in Bangkok




          The busy street markets
Inside the train station in Bangkok






There were many rice patties along the way











                Rural farm houses







I caught site of these rural temple amidst the lush foliage -- reminded me of the gospel song "Church in the Wildwood"






       More village settings









The journey continues with Malaysia by Rail>
*

No comments:

Post a Comment