Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Recipes: Fabulous Dinner Rolls


REFRIGERATOR ROLLS DELUXE
(From My Mamma's Recipe File)

My mother used to make these rolls on special family occasions – or sometimes just because it was Sunday. She always won high praise from guests who tried them. I've been making them myself for years and have never found a better recipe. Here in the South, you can buy “Sister Schubert’s Rolls” ready-make in the freezer case of many supermarkets. Sister Schubert’s recipe is a near approximation, and sometimes I've bought them when short on time. They are not as good, in my opinion, as my homemade recipe.

Part of our holiday tradition at thanksgiving and Christmas is for me to make these rolls. “It doesn’t matter what else is on the menu,” I am always told, “as long as you make your rolls!”

Ingredients:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
½  c. lukewarm water
½  c. butter
½  c. shortening
¾  c. sugar
1 c. hot mashed potatoes
1 c. cold water
1 ½  tsp. salt
6-6 ½  c. flour

Directions:
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c. warm water in a large bowl. Stir in butter,
shortening, sugar, potato, 1 c. cold water, salt and 3 c. of flour. Beat
until smooth. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make dough
easy to handle. Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead until
smooth (about 5 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turn greased side
up. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate for 24 hours but no longer than
5 days. I always cover the bowl with wax paper held around the bowl
 with a large rubber band. (You may wrap dough in waxed paper instead
 of covering in a bowl.)

Punch down dough and divide into 4 equal parts. ( ¼  of dough
makes about a dozen rolls.) Roll ¼  of dough onto lightly floured surface,
shape as desired. I have used clover leaf, crescent, and fan-tail designs, 
but I prefer Parker House style (as did my mamma). Look here for
information about roll-shaping techniques.

Place rolls in pan, brush with melted butter or salad oil. Let rise
in warm place for about an hour. Bake in 425· oven for 20-25 minutes.

                             *     *     *     *     *


 I don't have a picture of my own rolls. Pictured here are Sister Schubert's rolls which run a close second.  




*     *     *     *     *     *     *    *     *


Last year during the month of December I posted 12 of my favorite Christmas songs. These songs are still on my blog. To read about them and hear them go up to the top of the blog page and click on "Videos." Then scroll down to "The Joys of Christmas" where you will see the web links listed. 



*

No comments:

Post a Comment