Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Recipes: "Don't Stay Around Cake"

Here's another treat you can make any time of year but it works well at Christmas. This is the easiest recipe of any that I've posted. I got it from a lady who said it was called "Don't stay around cake," which is a pretty accurate description, though lacking in grammatical correctness. At the time I acquired this recipe, I was teaching English and couldn't bring myself to use poor grammar, so I dubbed it, "Banana Pineapple Cake." I usually bake this one in a bunt pan, but it also does well in mini loaf pans. One Christmas I made mini loaves to wrap and give out to friends during the holidays. As you can see from the recipe, it is quite easy, just stir all the ingredients together and bake. You don't even need to get out the electric mixer. I usually use chopped nuts, but have made it with coconut -- it is great both ways.

Banana Pineapple Cake (aka “Don’t-Stay-Around Cake)

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 oz. crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped nuts (or coconut)

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in center. Add liquids and stir until everything is moist. Grease and flour a bunt pan, pour in batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

[If you choose to use mini loaf pans for this recipe, remember to shorten the baking time, probably to about 20 minutes -- just keep a close eye on it]


*

No comments:

Post a Comment