Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Growing Up Under Southern Apartheid -- Bending the Arc

Bending the Arc

I am in the midst of writing my memories of growing up in the segregated South. For an index of what I have written so far in Southern Apartheid, go here. I will be taking a brief hiatus in these postings, but I will return in the near future with more recollections.

The reason I began my Southern Apartheid series is that while my upbringing in the South was full of idyllic moments, I had a very limited understanding at the time of the world that Black people lived in. They cooked and cleaned for white people –even raised white folk's children, but they were kept under control by tactics of terror. There were enough beatings and lynchings that were ignored by the legal system, and enough incidents of black people being "accidentally hit" by cars as they walked down the road to act as a warning to anyone who dared to challenge the system.

As fate would have it, I just learned that two of my friends from the Birmingham Unitarian Universalist Church in Birmingham have a film project addressing the dystopian environment of terror and suppression that existed here in the South for Black people at the same time that I was spending my carefree childhood years. Pam Powell and David Brower have produced a film, Bending the Arc: The Vote “about the hard-fought battle to expand voting rights to all people in Alabama in the 1960s. Sacrifices made, lives lost, obstacles overcome, and the need to continue the fight.” 

To learn more about the Bending the Arc Project and upcoming films in the mini-series, please visit the Bending the Arc website bendingthearctojustice.com

Check out the trailer below:



-

No comments:

Post a Comment