Monday, January 28, 2019

Monday Music: Gentle on My Mind (John Hartford)

When I was a kid, I always enjoyed watching Glen Campbell's Goodtime Hour when John Hartford would come out and join Campbell (and usually one or two others) to sit and jam and chat about their music.

"Gentle on My Mind" was Glen Campbell's first big hit as he rose to stardom. It was written by John Hartford, who recorded it in 1967. According to Songfacts, Hartford was inspired to write the song after seeing the movie, Doctor Zhivago. We also learn there that "Gentle on My Mind" is one of the most recorded country songs in history, having been covered by Dean Martin, Aretha Franklin, Lucinda Williams, and The Band Perry.

Hartford was also known in folk music circles and was one of the pioneers in the "newgrass" genre of music.




-

No comments:

Post a Comment