Thursday, March 20, 2014

Recipes My Daughter Likes: Luxurious Potato Broccoli Soup

Today I tried a recipe my daughter sent. It is a delightfully hearty vegetable soup. I am calling it "luxurious" because of its creamy texture. It is also vegan since it uses coconut creamer rather than milk to achieve the light and creamy base. It was definitely a delicious hit, and an excellent healthy food choice. I would add that though the recipe states it is one serving, I got about four servings out of it (but then again, my concept of a serving may differ from yours).

A note about the ingredients: quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a grain from the Andes. If you haven't tried it, it is a nutritious dish that is a good substitute for rice. Just rinse it before cooking because it has a natural protective coating that is bitter. Coconut creamer is a great dairy substitute. I have found it at Whole Foods as well as The Fresh market.


Potato Broccoli Soup (1 serving, scale for more people)


Ingredients:
  • 1 potato
  • 1 handful of baby carrots
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped kale
  • 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1vegetable bouillon 
  • 1/8 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup coconut creamer
  • salt and season to taste

Preparation:

Put bouillon, seasonings and quinoa in pot with two cups water and bring to boil. Chop potato, carrots and other veggies to a small dice and add everything into boiling water. Cover and simmer for 25 min. Remove cover add creamer and cook down to desired consistency. 



-

No comments:

Post a Comment