Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Memories from China

The post on Monday, "To a Local Goddess," brought to mind some other pictures and poems I wrote during that period. This one refers to a mountain, Chungshan (translated Middle Mountain) out in the countryside that we saw before reaching Canton (Gwangdong).






Chungshan

I first saw Middle Mountain
   when the sun was high and the moon was dim.
I walked toward it through the day
   over soft plowed ground.

When I came to the foot of the mountain at twilight
   and began my ascent,
   the moon was round and dusty white.

I reached the top where I could see all around.
   The rice fields were resting
   The crickets were singing.
And the moon was full and bright.


           Charles Kinnaird                                1/82

















More pictures to follow this week.




*

No comments:

Post a Comment