Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Songs for Christmas: Christmas Time is Here

During the month of December, I'll be posting a few of my favorite Christmas songs. I'll have a You Tube version of each song so that you can stop and listen if you like.

I remember watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special the very first time it was aired. As an 11-year-old, I was already a seasoned fan of the Peanuts comic strip by Charles Shultz. Finding it in the “Sunday Funnies” was always a treat. Naturally, I took delight in the first televised cartoon of the Peanuts gang. Not only did A Charlie Brown Christmas tell an endearing Christmas story while presenting THE Christmas story, it was probably my first introduction to jazz with the musical score written by Vince Guaraldi. Many years later, I was very glad to have an excuse to watch the televised special again when my own daughter was young. The opening song, “Christmas Time is Here,” has since become and enduring Christmas classic, featured on many Christmas recordings.


2 comments:

  1. Love this! This soundtrack is my favorite to listen to at Christmas, it always makes me smile. If you like jazzy Christmas music, I hope you've been introduced to "Three Suites" by Duke Ellington. His take on the "Nutcracker Suite" will have you dancing! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look for Duke Ellington's recording. "Dave Koz & Friends - A Smooth Jazz Christmas" is another good one.

    ReplyDelete