Sunday, September 13, 2020

Birdwatching

Or, What I did This Summer
A Photo Essay




                                     Clockwise from the top: pine siskin, male and female house finches
                                                                        Carolina wren, chickadee

Downy woodpecker
A cardinal forages with some sparrows


House sparrows
I love watching the birds outside my kitchen window and in my backyard. For years I had goldfinches every winter and I could not keep the thistle seed feeders filled because the birds emptied them so fast. Then for the past couple of years, the birds stopped coming. The thistle seed would go bad in the feeder. I got thistle new seed, I got new feeders, but the birds stopped coming. I mentioned my problem to the folks at Wild Birds Unlimited in Hoover earlier this summer. The nice lady there told me that I should try shelled sunflower seeds. “Surveys across the country,” she told me, “are showing that finches are now preferring shelled sunflower seeds over thistle seed.”

Goldfinch
Well, those folks at Wild Birds Unlimited were way ahead of me. For one thing, I did not know that goldfinches responded to surveys. I certainly had not heard the news of their change in diet preference. I decided to give it a try, and lo and behold, they were right! As you can see in the photos here, goldfinches are back. I’ve also had wrens, nuthatches, chickadees, and a hairy woodpecker frequenting the feeder.



In addition to changing the seed in my feeder, I have also tried to make my yard bird-friendly, which has really paid off in this summer of COVID seclusion. My wife and I have planted flowers and placed birdbaths in the yard, all of which the birds enjoy.




One unexpected surprise (speaking of goldfinches) was our abundance of zinnias. My wife planted some last year and again this year, but we also had many volunteers from last year’s seeds. I discovered that goldfinches also love zinnias! We have seen them fluttering about the flowers all summer, finding nourishment as the blossoms go to seed.



Another unexpected delight came last week as I was trying to film a hummingbird at the feeder. Suddenly, a goldfinch came down to the hummingbird feeder sending the hummer off in flight. The goldfinch found the “ant trap” in the middle of the feeder to be a perfect watering hole.



Just for good measure, here is a shot of the hummer who came back for the nectar after the goldfinch left.








This winter, I will continue with the shelled sunflower seeds in the feeders and next spring – more zinnias! 







And here are a few more shots of some backyard visitors.




Mockingbird

Sparrow
Fledgling sparrows



American Robin
Mother robin feeds a worm to her fledgling

Female cardinal


Male cardinal

Male towhee



Female towhee


An acrobatic sparrow
Titmouse
Titmouse


White-throated sparrow
Eurasian collared doves









Brown Thrasher


Male goldfinch



___________________________


All photos and videos taken by Charles Kinnaird using a Canon PowerShot SX410 IS



-





No comments:

Post a Comment