Monday, June 1, 2020

Monday Music: The Sacred Harp Quarantine Chorus

For some 40 years, the National Sacred Harp Convention has met in Birmingham during the month of June to sing the old hymns from the shaped-note hymnal. I wrote about my initial encounter with sacred harp several years ago.

The COVID-19 pandemic has halted public gatherings and public singing is an especially dangerous activity with the coronavirus among us. Thankfully, some people have figured out a way to "come together" for some magnificent singing. Here is "Hallelujah" (Number 146 in the Sacred Harp Hymnal)



And let this feeble body fail,
And let it faint or die;
My soul shall quit this mournful vale,
And soar to worlds on high,

Chorus:

And I’ll sing hallelujah,
And you’ll sing hallelujah,
And we’ll all sing hallelujah,
When we arrive at home.

*** 

Give joy or grief, give ease or pain,
Take life or friends away,
But let me find them all again,
In that eternal day

(Chorus)

-

1 comment: