Friday, February 8, 2019

A Brief Look Back


Here is a brief rundown of a few of the popular posts on Not Dark Yet over the past quarter.

There are two features that occur without fail each week. Every Monday, I share a musical offering (usually from YouTube). By far, the most popular Monday Music offering this past quarter was by Nat King Cole, "When I Grow to Old to Dream." On Saturdays, I post an original haiku. The haiku that received the most views during the last three months was "Inner Woods" (which was accompanied by a painting by e.e. cummings).

Personal essay is another primary feature on my blog. I try to have a variety of topics ranging from social commentary to spirituality to human interest and literary topics. The most widely read essay this time was "On Spiritual Practice, Poetry, and the Inadequacy of Language." 

After the tragic shooting in Pittsburgh at the Tree of Life Synagogue, I wrote an essay, "Standing with Friends in Synagogue," in which I recounted my visit to The Great Synagogue in Florence, Italy. 

One of my posts from 2012 always gets renewed interest each winter, "Winter Solstice and a Poem for the Longest Night." That post features one of my poems, "To Zarathustra," and I was pleased that once again it was one of the most frequently viewed posts this time.

I re-posted some of my journalistic poems last fall, one of which was "No Time for Weeping," which was an appeal to greater care for the environmental. Then I reworked one of my previous posts on Hildegard of Bingen which I titled, "The Feminine Voice for a Pivotal Age," and was pleased that it was one of my more popular posts.  

A Place of Gratitude is another re-post that I thought would be a good way to begin the new year. It turned out to be another one of my most frequently viewed post for the entire quarter.

In connection with Martin Luther King Day observance, I found a video with King's "I Have a Dream speech." I shared that 17-minute video because I felt that it was important to take the time to listen to the entire speech at this time when we find ourselves hoping for some glimpses of the better angels of our nature.

Last month I included a book review.  Bluebird, Bluebird, by Attica Locke, is a suspenseful page-turner of a novel.  A great story with fully developed characters, but more than that, the writing is sheer beauty.
Thanks to all readers, followers, and visitors to this blog site. I hope you will continue to stop to peruse my offerings each week!

No comments:

Post a Comment