Thursday, February 2, 2017

Bearing Witness to the Times: There's a New Man in Town


There’s a New Man in Town
(Looking at the first week of a new presidency)

The skies remain a dystopian gray
As the president
Churns out executive orders.
Amazon. com sold every available copy
Of George Orwell’s 1984.

The week saw thousands of people
Who could not stay home.
They filled the streets.
Women led the charge
Voicing resistance,
Celebrating diversity,
Protesting bigotry, hate, and prejudice.

In city after city
Crowds exceeded expectation.
Millions moved
In buoyant hope.

And the president keeps writing executive orders,
Vowing to make America White Great again.
He shuts out the refugee,
Insists upon building a wall.
Where is the hand of friendship?
Magnanimity in now anathema.

Some people whisper,
“He’s come unhinged.”
I think of the Marlon Brando character
In that movie, Apocalypse Now
The army colonel who went rogue.
He headed down river
Into the jungle,
Holding sway
By ruthless tactics.
(They got that idea from
Conrad’s Heart of Darkness)
That’s what I think about.

Meanwhile,
I pruned my crepe myrtles
Like I always do in winter.
I filled the bird feeders
With sunflower seeds.
Sparrows chirp
In bare trees
And we all await the coming of spring.

~ CK








From my introductory post:

The best thing that poets can do is to bear witness to the times – articulate what is happening in the moment; speak to the real life experiences of your people.  I am setting myself a goal to write a poem each week that reflects what I see and experience in the life of our nation... if I can write one poem a week there will be some chronicle of our sacred/tested/doubtful union...
-

No comments:

Post a Comment