Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday Music: As the Ruin Falls (Phill Keaggy)

When I was in college back in the 1970s, I heard Phil Keaggy's song which set to music C.S. Lewis's poem, "As the Ruin Falls." Being C.S. Lewis, the words gave more depth than your typical Contemporary Christian music that was just emerging at the time. Scroll down to see the lyrics. If you really want the full depth of Lewis's poem, read his novel Till We Have Faces. This song is a good meditation for Holy Week.




As the Ruin Falls

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through:
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn.

Peace, re-assurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin:
I talk of love --a scholar's parrot may talk Greek--
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.

Only that now you have taught me (but how late) my lack.
I see the chasm. And everything you are was making
My heart into a bridge by which I might get back
From exile, and grow man. And now the bridge is breaking.

For this I bless you as the ruin falls. The pains
You give me are more precious than all other gains.


                                                    ~ Clive Staples Lewis



-

No comments:

Post a Comment