Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Dog and the Dalai Lama

Recently, I came across the documentary, Sunrise/Sunset, by Russian filmmaker, Vitali Manski. It is an interesting look at a day in the life of His Holiness the Dalia Lama. I caught is on Netflix, but it is also available for free viewing at Culture Unplugged.com. I found it to be interesting, as I do anything about the Dalai Lama. Near the end of the film, however, I was intrigued by the "cameo appearance" of a dog who wandered by. I did a screen shot to catch that moment when you can still see the dog at the bottom left as the Dalai Lama is coming down the stairs. I was delighted to see that there was a dog at the Dalai Lama's house. I tried to imagine the interaction between His Holiness and his dog, and came up with the following poem.




The Dog and the Dalai Lama

It was early in the morning
Before light broke across the sky.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Made his way down the stairs.

After morning meditation
He descends
Into the mundane world
Of conflict, struggle,
Searching, gaining, and grasping.

A dog wags his tail
Crossing His Holiness’s path.
Perhaps the monk smiles
At his canine friend.
Perhaps his heart is made glad
When the dog welcomes him
To the day.

“Hello, my friend!” he might say.
“Dog nature welcome Dalai Lama nature,”
I imagine him chuckling.
“We come together to find Buddha nature –
For five minutes we show the world peace,
You and I –
Then have breakfast.” 

                                                              ~ CK




-


No comments:

Post a Comment