Friday, May 22, 2015

A Liberal Arts Education

I have been invited to write for AMERICAblog, "a journal of news and opinion about US politics, both domestic and foreign, from a progressive point of view." Yesterday was my first entry, with my essay, "Looking back on the benefits of a liberal arts education." 

It’s been over 30 years since I received my first graduate degree, and I have no regrets about the liberal arts foundation of my higher education. While the question “How can I get the best job?” has encouraged much of higher education to become glorified technical schools, to limit one’s education to employability for employability’s sake is to miss out on what education is supposed to be. What’s more, even in the context of employment, it limits one's opportunities down the road...  

You can read the rest of the essay at  http://americablog.com/2015/05/looking-back-on-the-benefits-of-a-liberal-arts-education.html


I'll have a bit more about the liberal arts next week.


The iconic bell tower clock atop Samford University's
Harwell G. Davis Library (photo by Charles Kinnaird)

No comments:

Post a Comment