Friday, September 30, 2011

A Joyful Cuisine


You'll find on these blog pages entries where I write of cultural and religious diversity. Such diversity can be soul enriching, but culinary diversity is out of this world! Good food is a great motivator. In fact, I think that the reason England lead the way across the globe during the days of colonization was that they realized that there was nothing good to eat at home! You didn't see the Greeks, Italians or Chinese establishing outposts throughout the world -- that's because their food was just fine, thank you very much.

Good food is the the major reason for this post today. This weekend is the 39th annual Greek Food Festival at Holy Cross-Holy Trinity Greek OrthodoxCathedral Church in downtown Birmingham. Since it is just a few blocks from where I work, I headed down there for lunch. In the past I have had the Greek chicken, last year I think I had Souvlakia, which is "marinated lamb skewered and grilled on an open fire."  Today, I had an abundant lunch of pasticho, spanakopita, tiropita, and a Greek salad. Pasticho is "a wonderful combination with layers of macaroni, ground beef in a Greek tomato sauce, topped with a layer of delicious cream bechamel sauce." Spanakopita and tiropita are both made from filo dough with wonderful ingredients baked inside (spinach, feta cheese, eggs,scallions).  It was total joy and comfort! I ate more than I am accustomed to having for lunch, but it was payday, and the Greek Festival only comes around once a year.

While taking my lunch there on the premises there was a live band performing traditional Greek music. Afterwards, I toured the "marketplace" and viewed all kinds of items, ranging from almond oil to coffee, to pottery and jewelry. The bookstore was a visual treat, with icons, Greek artwork, and Orthodox literature. Much of the artwork was appealing, especially one of an angel that looked like it was replicated from a religious fresco. What I really needed, however, was one more book. I found Let Us Attend: A Journey through the Orthodox Divine Liturgy, by Father Lawrence Farley. The notes on the back promise to give the reader a deeper understanding of the Sunday morning liturgy. I have a fascination with liturgical forms, since I grew up as a Baptist with no understanding of liturgy. I discovered the richness of liturgy as an adult in the Episcopal and the Roman Catholic Churches. I have visited a couple of Orthodox services, and I thought it would be a good idea to spend a little time understanding that ancient rite a little better.

Primarily, I left Holy Cross Holy Trinity full and satisfied, having partaken of a wonderful meal. It is always beneficial to learn about other cultures and to get to know people from other traditions. Food is a great was to get there. All people everywhere can rejoice in the celebration of great cuisine. Head on down to the Greek Festival if you are near Birmingham. there is still one more day. A rewarding journey awaits you.



No comments:

Post a Comment