Sunday, April 24, 2011

Truth As We Know It vs. Truth As We Shall See It

I heard Emily Dickinson quoted last night in a homily for the first Mass of Easter. The bishop who was officiating revealed that he had been an English major in college. I must confess my ears perked up since I, too, am part of that society of English majors that Garrison Keillor often speaks of on A Prairie Home CompanionOf course, Emily Dickinson makes my ears perk up as well. Here is the poem:

     Tell All the Truth but Tell It Slant (# 1129)
              By Emily Dickinson

     Tell all the Truth but tell it slant --
     Success in Circuit lies
     Too bright for our infirm Delight
     The Truth's superb surprise

     As Lightning to the Children eased
     With explanation kind
     The Truth must dazzle gradually
     Or every man be blind --


May we continue along those slopes of truth and may our eyes ever adjust to that light revealed.




*

No comments:

Post a Comment